Rhinoplasty is surgery that aims to change the structure of the external nose. It may be motivated by problems in a functional or aesthetic reasons.
The first rhinoplasty was performed in the nineteenth century by Jacques Joseph.
The operation can now be conducted under full or local anesthesia and can last from one to two hours.
The goal of rhinoplasty is a modification of the shape of the nose, and get a natural, harmonious, but also lung function satisfactorily.
The goal of intervention is, therefore, working under the skin is incised ever, change the shape of the bone and cartilage, which form the solid framework of the nose and give it its particular form, if different d 'a case to case. This frame is doubled within the nasal mucosa, which is incised to access parts of bone and cartilage.
The skin is more or less thick, elastic and more or less as good as each individual. correction is therefore:
* Reducing appropriately measured and bone and cartilage, which is the most frequent case,
* But also, and quite often, adding fragments of cartilage so that the skin - which it never touches - enable it to redrape elasticity on the new bone and cartilage structure that has been created. (This highlights the extreme importance of the qualities of the skin).
Who is she?
This procedure can be performed from the age of 16, especially when there is a deviation of partition or warped psychological impact. In the elderly, the intervention may be indicated to shorten the nose a little long because of respiratory problems but also to create a rejuvenating effect is not negligible.
During the consultation, the nose is examined in its relations with other facial features, including the chin. We shall examine the inside of your nose to find an abnormality in the mucosa or cause of respiratory problems which must be corrected in the same operation. A project can be done on computer. This project is more likely to be realized that the skin and cartilage are of good quality, that healing is satisfactory, and that the surgeon has had both technical expertise and artistic sensibility.
The operation requires a hospital stay of 12 to 24 hours:
* It is preferably performed under general anesthesia but can also be under neuroleptic analgesia, that is to say in the presence of an anesthesiologist who administers drugs that make the patient relaxed, drowsy but not asleep.
* The incisions are made inside the nostrils and sometimes in the columella. The external incisions are sometimes used in the case of nostrils amazed, but they are virtually invisible because hidden in the crease of the nostril.
* Corrections are made with the aid of instruments which remove the nostrils and can shorten a long nose, a bump of Reduce, reshape the cartilage to change the shape of the tip, making a narrowing of the nose too broad.
* A deviation of the nasal septum should always be corrected in the same operation.
* In some cases, using fragments of cartilage which is usually levied on the nasal septum, including some nose to increase, strengthen cartilage too low, correct inspiratory discomfort: these grafts are never rejected, and their absorption is exceptional.
The dressing consists of a metal splint placed on the nose for a period of 4 to 8 days.
They vary from one patient to another, swelling, bruising of the eyelids lasting 3 to 10 days. The nasal splint is removed the 6th day, the son who are absorbable fall alone. In general, the nose can be very presentable to the 10 - 12th day, even if swelling persists for 2 to 3 months, rarely a year. Complications such as infections or bleeding are rare and quickly treated.
Cosmetic surgery of the nose
What is the current aesthetic surgery of the nose? Every nose is different and therefore requires appropriate correction. Advances in Rhinoplasty can make natural nose and that are not recognized as nose redone. The secondary defects are often caused by excessive reductions, or a misunderstanding of the importance of the skin which involves surgical gestures appropriate.
The nose surgery corrects birth defects or disfigurement caused by accidents. This procedure can sometimes be combined with removal of nasal obstruction due to an internal deformity.
After examination of the nose, the surgeon will discuss with the patient, the technique, anesthesia, and what can be "realistically" done. (Dr. Dombard).
Read also Sinusitis