The term tumor (latin tumere, swelling) means, in medicine, an increase of volume of a fabric, clearly delineated unspecified case.
It is a neoformation of body tissues (neoplasia), which takes place as a result of disruption of cell growth-type benign or malignant.
A cancer can affect any type of tissue. Depending on the location of the tumor and function of the affected tissue, it can lead to organ dysfunction and affect the whole body and even cause his death. The malignant tumors are the causes of cancer.
The tumors occur in all living beings, including plants. This article relates mainly to human tumors.
There are benign tumors, semi-malignant and malignant:
* The tumors were benign tumors not serious, is can not give rise to tumors girls (metastases), as is the case of warts and moles. Benign tumors affecting the skin are nevertheless often seen as unsightly and can lead to removal. Another reason is that they can sometimes cause itching when they are located in the folds of the body.
* The semi-malignant tumors do not generally generate tumors girls, but they nevertheless destroy surrounding tissue and grow.
* The malignant tumors are often referred to as cancer. In addition to attacking the surrounding tissue, it produces tumors girls (metastases) that spread through the blood or lymph.
Cloth of origin
The name of the tumor is usually formed by adding the suffix-ome on behalf of the fabric. There is talk, however, a epithelioma and not a epitheliome.
Some terms are implied the cancerous nature of the injury (carcinoma, sarcoma), other non (Adenoma, fibroid).
Consequences for the organization
Benign tumors generally grow slowly and do not harm the body. Some of them may nevertheless thereafter degenerate and mutate into malignant tumors. They may include polyps intestines (colon adenoma), which often degenerate into adenocarcinomas (adenoma-carcinoma sequence). The adenomas producing hormones may cause through these serious diseases.
The tumors, benign or malignant, can also cause complications following:
* Obstruction minor hollow organs (lumen) and compression of adjacent organs;
* Secretion ectopic hormone (ACTH, parathyroid hormone, insulin).
It depends on the type of tumor: benign or malignant.
In the first case, the surgical removal provides a cure, as a rule, without repetition. It is proposed that if the tumor is embarrassing for the patient or, or if there is a possibility of compression of a structure adjacent.
The treatment of cancer poses problems far more specific.
Read also Tumour